The Douglas DC-3 is a propeller-driven airliner which had a lasting effect on the airline industry in the 1930s/1940s and World War II. It was developed as a larger, improved 14-bed sleeper version of the Douglas DC-2. It is a low-wing metal monoplane with a tailwheel landing gear, with a cruise speed of 207 mph (333 km/h), commercial capacity of 21 to 32 passengers or 6,000 lbs (2,700 kg) of cargo, a range of 1,500 mi (2,400 km), and could operate from short runways.
Before the war, it pioneered many air travel routes as it could cross the continental US and made worldwide flights possible, carried passengers in greater comfort, and was reliable and easy to maintain. It is considered the first airliner that could profitably carry only passengers.
This particular DC-3 was built by Douglas Aircraft in Santa Monica and delivered to TWA on January 26, 1941 with the registration number NC1944. It pulled from TWA’s registry in 1950 with 34,259 flight hours.
On November 24, 1950, the plane was re-registered to the Union Oil Company as N1944. It was modified with an executive interior and placed in service with flights to North and South America. In 1957, the registration was changed to N760. The last flight of this aircraft was on May 27, 1982 with a total of 47,665 flight hours without accident or incident. It was fitted with 2 Wright Cyclone R-1820 9-cylinder engines producing 1,100hp each.
The Aircraft was displayed for many years at the California Science Center in Exposition Park in Los Angeles. It has been on loan to the Flight Path Museum LAX since September 2006.
Access to the DC-3 is not possible at this time.